What is a Custom Domain?
A Custom Domain, also known as a vanity URL, is a way to create branded links to Spectate resources including Custom Links, Forms, Landing Pages, Callouts, and Files, using a domain name owned by your organization.
For example, if my main website is
http://www.example.com, I could set a Custom Domain in Spectate like
http://www2.example.com. Going forward, all links to Spectate objects would be reachable either at my custom domain or at the default
This reassures visitors that they are still accessing your resources when navigating to a Spectate resource.
How do I use a Custom Domain?
- Add a CNAME record to your domain's DNS for the sub-domain that you wish to use (e.g.
http://www2.mydomain.com). This will require going to your DNS host (typically your web hosting company) to add the record. The CNAME should point to
my.spectate.com. You can make the subdomain whatever you'd like; though, we recommend using
www2because it's a common subdomain.
- DNS changes usually propagate within an hour, but can take up to 24 hours. To see if changes have propagated, go to your new subdomain in your web browser, and it will redirect to
- Log into Spectate. NOTE: You must be an Administrator of your account.
- At the top right, next to your email address, click
- Click on
Edit my account
- Put your custom domain in the
Custom Domainfield at the bottom of the form. Do not include the
Update Accountto save the changes.
Now all your Custom Links, Forms, Landing Pages, Files, and Callouts will be accessible through your custom domain in addition to through http://my.spectate.com.